Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Describing our identity: Who am I?

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=VU_rTX23V7Q (original)
http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=kDc6hyFsS-c

(F)Who am I?
That the Lord(C) of all the earth(Dm),
Would care(C) to know my name(Bb),
(Bb)Would care to feel my hurt.

(F)Who am I?
(C)That the bright and morning star (Dm),
(C) Would choose to light the way(Bb),
(Bb) For my ever wondering heart.
Not because(Bb) of who I am(C).
But because(Dm) of what you've done(C).
Not because(Dm) of what I've done(C).
But because of who you are.

Chorus:
(F)I am a flower(C) quickly fading(Dm),
Here today(C) and gone tomorrow(Bb).
A wave(C) tossed in the ocean(Bb),
A vapor(C) in the wind(F).
Still you hear(C) me when I'm calling(Dm),
Lord you catch(C) me when I'm falling(Bb),
And you told(C) me who I am(Bb).
I am yours (F).

Who am I?
That the eyes that see my sin
Would look on me with love
And watch me rise again

Who am I?
That the voice that calm the sea,
Would call out through the rain,
And calm the storm in me.
Not because of who I am.
But because what of you've done.
Not because of what I've done.
But because of who you are.

Background
Often we think of famous of successful people as people with identities worth emulating but this song inverts this view of success. It makes our identities secure because we are created by God and are cared for and sustained by God's power. It answers the question who am I in a different way.

Consider the famous people game that we played in class. Why do you think these accomplishments may not actually represent who people are? How would you describe yourself in a formal setting and how would you describe who you really are? Should these be different? If so why or why not?

No comments: